mumbo jumbo

Monday, January 12, 2009

Running has quickly become one of the only things I care about right now.

It's the coolest thing, knowing that a week ago today I could barely run a 1/4th a mile before needing a walking break, and now I can run a mile before needing one. The quick progression is really inspiring.

I'm keeping strict adherance to the schedule on my wall. This week I've run 7.5 miles (3 of which were today) and walked about 5 miles. Next week it's up to 9.5 miles.

The weird thing about all this is that I used to hate running. I thought it was a boring waste of enormous amounts of energy and only served to wear a person out. Then I took that running class at BYU and learned all about max exercise and resting heart rates and how running strengthens and improves your heart and your cardiovascular system and streamlines oxygen absorption and capacity in the muscles and lungs. The health benefits are immense.

And the psychological benefits are just as great. I have a lot of hangups.... a lot. And they bog me down far too often. I'm strong and adventurous in a lot of ways, but when it comes to people and interacting with them.. too often I turn into this strange, timid creature that I don't recognize and that I hate. Anyway, running keeps me happier for longer periods of time and for that reason alone I'd continue, even if there was no marathon as a distant goal.

Getting off work at 7am is perfect too because I can get to the track when it's still mostly dark outside and run when it's not at all crowded. There are usually only two or three others on it with me, so I can keep my own lane the whole time. I'm in awe of the people who run up and down the stadium steps two at a time for 30 solid minutes... maybe someday that'll be me too.

The present goal at the moment is to run 3 miles w/out any walking breaks. There is a 5k in Lakewood next month on Valentines Day benefiting the homeless that I've registered for. My first organized run! Hehe, can't wait.

I think we could be more than just gym buddies.
.....You're blowing my mind right now Frank,

Nikki

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's fantastic Nikki!! I'm glad everything is working out for you.

And that quote just topped this entry off soooo nicely. Oh, Tobias. :)

Char said...

Oh, thank you for that quote! I'm so proud of you! Nothing like getting your ya-ya's out through exercise! Running rage!!

 
Are you my protolith? - by Templates para novo blogger