New blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ran the bridge this morning and it was so cold my face went numb the way it does when riding up the Mammoth chairlift at Brighton -- that very slow, outmoded two-seater you turn into a popsicle on about two hours before reaching the top. It felt awesome. Almost, and I do stress the almost, as good as snowboarding. I'm pretty sure I looked like this kid without knowing it:



Only definitely not as cute. The sunrise was one of those slow-spreading ones that melts over the horizon. Brought my camera with me and kept stopping to gawk and take pictures when I was supposed to be running. Can you believe this is my backyard?




More often than not, the mornings here are incredibly foggy and when they are it's almost frightening to run across the bridge. The first time I ran in fog, I could hear the cars flying by but couldn't see them too well except for a flash of tail lights. The haunting horn of large boats in the water went off at regular intervals. The bridge itself looked like a ship plying the fog. It was so eerie. I realized on my run back that the boat horns I kept hearing were in fact coming from the pylons of the bridge where they touched the water in warning for any boats that might sail underneath.

I'm sure there will be more bridge pictures in the future on this blog.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Ohohoo!! It is soo beautiful! I can't wait to come up there--you and me are gonna go running like never before! Course, I'm a little bit MORE out of shape. :)
Yaay for BLOGS!!

Char said...

You started a blog!!!! I'm so happy!!! I love reading your ideas! And stop it, there's WATER near Mom's house???? I did not know about this WATER. Now I'm ridiculously stoked for Christmas. I love your descriptions about the coldness being like sitting on a ski-lift and the other-worldiness of the fog on the bridge. Beautiful! And the picture of the kid made me laugh so hard, I know exactly what you mean. Oh, and I think I know where you got your blog title, and I LOVE it. :) :)

Char said...

Wait, I know where you got your title of you blog site, but I don't know where you got the title of your blog itself (I don't know what a protolith is. I'm guessing it's a geological substitute for "mother."

If you ever want new blog designs, go to smittenblogdesigns.blogspot.com -- they have tons of really nice, free ones. You click on the link to one, copy the html, then paste it into your "Edit Html" box after deleting the code that's already there. Then you hit "Save Template" and then you go view your blog and it looks different!

Char said...

*where you got the title of your blog site

I am gud for spehling.

Tiffany said...

Hey I totally forgot about your book blog--such a great idea!! I think I may try my hand at it next semester. I love to know what you're reading!

 
Are you my protolith? - by Templates para novo blogger