Seattle, Part Deux

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Walking home from the race was ... uh, a little painful. Being soaked to the bone, and the foot being obnoxious and all. A very tall man in a trenchcoat approached me and when he got within 4 or 5 feet he opened his coat wide, like wings (hahahah, like Paddington Bear the Flasher, only thankfully this guy had pants on) and then said "Damn you are soaked! Damn!" and He kept staring at me as I walked..


Creep.

I had to soak in the heat of the bathtub for a bit before showering and dressing and was STILL cold for a long time.

In the afternoon I walked over to Pike's Market to see all the stalls and get some lunch. Found my favorite eat-on-the-run place, Piroshky-Piroshky. It's a tiny, one table, family owned and operated eatery where you can get 15 different piroshkys and borscht. I got a cabbage/onion one and a spinach/egg/cheese one and hung out in a coffee shop for an hour or so to eat and get warm.

You guys... BARRY MANILOW was in town that night, only 15 minutes north of Seattle. Raise your hand if you want to see him live!!


Can't believe I missed that.

Picked up a glass necklace at one stall and a little while later was completely stopped in my tracks by the jewelry at this one table. The woman at the booth has a friend who is a huge rockhound and travels all over the world finding agates that he later polishes and cuts into cabochons for jewelry. It cost a pretty penny, but the geologist in me couldn't say no to two of these.





This is ocean jasper from Madagascar. It was deposited as a rhyolite flow but later became totally resilicated. The spheres are the rhyolite.












This next one is Mexican lace agate (also known as crazy lace agate). I love the delicate setting that reminds me of a treble clef and the 3-d effect of the minerals inside.


The woman let me switch out the chain lengths and try them all on side by side and individually and she was so fun to talk to. Every single piece on her table was completely unique and beautiful. She showed me the rough rock and where the polished cuttings came from.... omg I need to get a rock tumbler. I've never been so excited by jewelry as I am about this guy's work.
At 5 I went back to Benaroya Hall for another concert. This time it was to hear all of the Brandenburg concertos performed by the Academy of Ancient Music from England on period instruments.
...I'll finish the rest of this later

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are so amazing Nikki! I love that you just go out and do things on your own. Talk about an adventure! I love all the pictures, and I take back what I said about the rocks!! The close-ups here just freaked me out a bit, but your facebook picture is lovely. ;)

Glad we got to chat a bit today, and I'm so happy/excited that you got your internship and will be coming back to Utah!!! I swear, I miss you every day! And now, you will be in the same state as your storage unit! hehe

Nolan said...

Ahhhhh the Brandenburg Concerti are one of my favorite things to hear. Has your foot healed?

Char said...

Oh my gosh, Paddington Bear! I love CLOPS. Yeah, you just keep getting accosted by street freaks because you're hot and they're moronic low-lifes.

Wow, this was a very involved short trip! I love your necklace choices... they are beautiful! I totally concur that rock tumblers are awesome. I badly want to get one, if only to polish the beautiful rocks I picked up on the beaches in Washington over Christmas break. Sigh, I want to go to Pike's market with you! I want to peruse well-crafted, unique jewelry stalls and the like! I love your taste, BTW.

More concerts, woooo!! I'd love to hear about the period instruments and how the performance was.

 
Are you my protolith? - by Templates para novo blogger