Penrose Point State Park

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On a beautiful, rare, blue sky day over the holidays, Tiffany and I drove out to the Key Peninsula to spend a few hours hiking in this park, which has lovely views of the bays of Puget Sound and a jawdropping vista-treat of Mt Rainier near the end of the hike.


We wandered around on a side trail for a little bit, through dense forest:



(ahhhhhhh)

Walked through some closed-for-the-winter group campsites until finding our trailhead.


We went A - B - C - G - D - E - F - H - A, to try to maximize the mileage, which even then was only about 2 miles. At G there is this lovely, stoney beach with incredibly clear water:


That looks perfectly green looking at it towards the sun:


We're like a cover for the Gilmore Girls. Tiff, you can be my mom --


Oh hello, sweet forest elf. Sing me your silken song.

View of Mt. Rainier, across Delano Bay. What a sexy beast.


Zoomed in, this is how big the mountain ACTUALLY looks, when you're standing there on the shore, in person:

Love the rocks, could beachcomb for hours:


We had been feeling a little wary while on this hike, due to the intermittent and VERY nearby rifle shots that we kept hearing. When we got to this beach, there was a little row boat with a gun sticking up out of it, pointed towards the water, so I guess someone was out there doin a little duck huntin. Felt better to see that, since up to that point, I'd been imagining that we'd inevitably be coming across other hikers' bodies in the woods.

We drove to and fro with Bjork's Vespertine.. couldn't get a better day than that.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Gah. I adore these pictures Nikki! Especially the rocks and the blue, blue water. Muah.

And I love you for calling Mt. Rainier a sexy beast. Sheesh. Someone needs to get a man. ;0

And you look so sweet in that one picture Nikki!! I miss you!!

Nolan said...

What shots! Are you still using your Sony?

Nikki said...

Yip!

Nikki said...

The Cybershot really is a great little point and shoot. Does everything my old SLR used to do, and it fits in a pocket. Mine has two separate macro settings, so you can get close, and then VERY close. Macro pictures are my favorite.

Char said...

AHHHHHH!! BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE the picture of you and Tiffany together -- I have such GORGEOUS sisters! I love the picture with the stones in the clear water, the ones of the rocks on the beach, and especially the one of Mt. Rainer with all that water. I am dying here. The Northwest is calling me home...

I loved your captions, too. Hilarious. And your use of "duck-huntin'" is so great. Wish I could have come with you!

Anonymous said...

I like the sexy beast... something to be conquered perhaps? Glad to see the Anderson Girls are still in action. Miss you Nikki.
-Ryan

 
Are you my protolith? - by Templates para novo blogger