Night hawk hatchling

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

While working in the Chinle, there was an 1/8th mile stretch where I had to spend a couple of hours surveying and throughout the course of it was hollered at by this crazy bird that just wouldn't fly away. She was squawking and dive-bombing me at the end of the day, and when I went back the next day, there she was again! It took me quite a while to realize that she was trying to protect a nest.


Everytime I would approach her, she would fly further away and press her entire wingspan to the ground, making the worst screaming bird calls you could possibly imagine. She was leading me away from the nest, as I realized later, and pretending to be injured so that I would stalk her and gobble her up instead of her babies. How amazing is that?

Here she is, keeping a watchful eye:
















The act:


















Extremely incensed:















All for this little one (I got to pet a baby night hawk in the wild!! [don't worry, its momma came back afterwards to keep it and the other egg warm]):




3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I can't believe this. She was pretending to be injured to distract you?! What a cool
wildlife experience.

Char said...

Wow!! I am amazed that the bird was trying to lead you away from the nest, that's so smart! Except -- once momma is dead, the hatchlings are toast, or rather... poached eggs on toast. Ha. Haha.
Ew. So I guess her plan is a little short-sighted.

Ugh, I hate the way birds look with their hideous gaping beaks. I could almost hear her screeching just looking at the picture, which I couldn't do for very long. Blech. It reminds me of the open, disgusting maw of a baby bird.

That's so neat that you got to pet the baby hawk! It's so fluffy! Did the momma try to put out your eyeses?

Oh, BTW, we have your mail! Mom had Julie bring it down from Washington, and they just dropped it off last night. Also, we don't have church this Sunday. So if you wanted to visit (only if you wanted...) you would be very welcome. But I'd understand if you didn't want to drive here again. Just know that we'd be happy to have you! ;)

Nikki said...

hahah, dang Char, didn't know you had such hate for bird mouths. Maybe you just don't appreciate their regurgitative habits? I think the simplicity of their beaks and pink tongues is kinda beautiful, even when they're screeching.

Sorry I couldn't come down this weekend. Will call you and Tiffy tomorrow (sunday).

 
Are you my protolith? - by Templates para novo blogger