brief update on the last couple weeks

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

1) Flew to Chicago a couple weeks ago for Nolan's recital which was incredible, to put it mildly. Hadn't seen him in nearly 6 years so it was exciting to be there in his town and to finally get to see him play again after so long. He's brilliant and warm and his playing is electric and I'm very, very sad I only got to see him for a few hours. You better send me a recording Nols.


2) Spent last weekend at Char's (THANK YOU CHAR.. it was much needed...much much) with Dave and Tiffany, playing games, drinking Brazillian lemonade, eating that amazing bean dip, talking and just hanging out like always. I'm lucky to have such caring family so close by. No matter how lonely things get out here, it's good to know that you three are just a 3-hour drive away.

3) Started running again. I always feel so tremendously empowered while I'm out there pounding pavement, like I can do anything.

4) My boss offered me the chance to stay on here at the monument for two extra months as a museum aid. With the most pay/hour that I've ever had! So I'll be here in northeastern Utah at least until the last day of September. I'll be working amongst the collections scattered in different buildings (and different states), attempting to locate specimens. I'm very happy that I get to stay and work here in this beautiful place for a little while longer after GeoCorps is over.

5) Finally registered for the GRE. Will be taking that August 13th. Big study time.

6) My inventory partner and I have continued scouting out the Chinle, trying to find SOMETHING articulated, but so far we've come up with lots of disarticulated fish scales, some phytosaur tooth impressions, and a couple small bags of bone bits, mostly scutes. I'm still holding out that we'll find an actual fossil fish out there. It's a lot of walking and swatting at bugs and staring at the ground but I love it very much. It's been a dream and it's going to be over way too fast. You can't beat having the outdoors as your office.

7) This week my old boss has been in town with his field crew and we've all been working in a new quarry out in BLM land. I've never worked in a quarry with such little bones! It's been great to return to prep work and excavation this week.

Here is the quarry:




































Here are just a few of the caudal (tail) vertebrae that I got to uncover today:




















4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Exciting stuff Nikki! I'm so glad that you get to stay there a few months longer! Miss you lots.

Char said...

I love that last picture of you!! You are so cute in your hat, digging up bones! Good job signing up for the GRE, you can totally do it!! I like the picture of the tail vertebrae, I wish I could watch you in the uncovering process. (Hey, that sounded dirty, fella.)

I should really start running, too. I just sooo prefer to run on a treadmill than along streets. It's a weird thing I have.

I miss you! Just gimme a call whenever you feel the need to swing out here! Hope this week treats you well out there in DinoLand.

Nolan said...

Miss you... new month = more textiiiiiing..........

Tiffany said...

Are you coming to Provo for the
4th of July? I'm missing my little sprite!

 
Are you my protolith? - by Templates para novo blogger